Tuesday 12 May 2009

Stark?...Yes. Raving?...No.

So for me, last night was passed in the company of Daniel Léveillé Danse, as they performed Amour, acide et noix in the Space Upstairs in Project. Setting itself the challenge of presenting nudity as the only true alternative to the reading of the body, and asking whether the skin is not the one true body costume, the performers (three men and one woman) selected to express Léveille’s vision, took to the stage naked.

Yet however freed they were from the constraints of clothing, this work seemed encumbered by a tense, weighty quality. Duets and solos were burdened by stomp, thud and thump; all motion staccatoed by the eruptive, interruptive standing, marching and gesturing that appeared throughout. None of which need necessarily be bad, if the impulse, vision or concept that led Léveillé to create Amour, acide et noix was something I could engage with. Sadly, I failed to apprehend the ‘outlook on life [taking] refuge behind the strange white skin’ that this show purports to reveal.

A post-show discussion, moderated by Finola Cronin, held out some hope. But talk of nudity accentuating muscular action to the point of conveying an illusion of effort; of jumping as analogous with life; of a stripped body's workings of organ, sinew and joint as interesting; of the need for a piece’s text to be simple, functional and clean...did nothing to dispel the sense of a concern solely with the exterior. This is not to say the dancers and choreographer are not sincere and daring in their own fashion. Nor is it to suggest there’s no underlying structure or a certain complexity – Léveillé mentioned in passing a quaternary aspect to the work, with four dancers, four sections, four solos, four duets, squares. (Hmmm...maybe I just needed some kinda quintessence to win me over...)

Ultimately, however, there’s the simple fact that I can’t get on board with the starting premise of the skin as ‘the one true body costume’ or of nudity as automatically 'frank and free of false modesty.' And I'd also argue any fair consideration of clothing would have to admit that it is something that both veils...and reveals. It’s not all about sparing our blushes.

What we wear, and how, tells of us, tells on us and is one way we stake our claim to this world and to being who we are – or are we to believe these expressions are necessarily untrue or deceitful at all times?

In contrast, the power of the naked form lies in intimating what lies beyond the everyday world and self. It’s a threshold. A threshold between being and non-being, one most of us only approach by either a lover’s bed or a deathbed. Perhaps that’s what last night’s show, in its emotionless rigidity and expressionless heaviness, for me most lacked – an apocalyptic intimacy, and a fragility only born of intimating truths no spoken word can say, but that dance - and dance alone - can hope to express.

But hey. C'mon. Far be it for me to keep you from making your own mind up. Don’t take my word for it. Go, get a ticket, see it.

And feel free to come back here and let me know what you thought...

4 comments:

  1. Greetings from Beijing, Duncan. You will conclude that I haven't seen this current incarnation of AAeN but I did see it when the company performed in Cork some years back and, unlike you, I was moved by the banal effort of the physicality, the way that phrases repeated by the different bodies were suffused with meaning as a result of the manifestly different shapes of the dancers. Even the most homogenous of corps de ballets becomes a line up of distinct individuals when stripped naked. For me there is a pathos in this undeniable individuality so that I appreciate the limited, leaden physicality. This diminished palette doesn't diminish the individuality of the performers but serves to underline it.

    But I suspect you have a more poetic soul...

    Meanwhile I've recommended AAeN to everyone I know.

    Gach rath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ni Hao Fearghus,

    really hope you're keeping well on your travels. Which reminds me - I must visit your blog soon...send me the address again and I'll get a link to it up on this blog, if you like.

    Anyway, thanks a million for taking a second to let me know your thoughts on the show (albeit an earlier incarnation of it and..heh...I'm choosing to take your suspicion of a poetic soul as a compliment..;))

    It is great to hear how another person's experience diverges from my own, especially when it comes to the arts. However, I'd be tempted to ask what meaning it is that suffuses a movement, if it derives primarily from the largely accidental or incidental peculiarities of a given body? Is that a sufficient measure of individuality? Maybe. I suppose it depends on the work, on what it hopes to elucidate through its chosen subject, and how it approaches that. I'm open to persuasion...but I'd tend to think otherwise, certainly if the work is directed at eliciting from me a sense of pathos...bathos maybe. But not pathos.

    Heh...perhaps you have a more sentimental soul...

    But hey, don't get me wrong. I'd recommend anyone to go see AAeN - and as many shows as they can afford in time and money. That's part of what we need if we're to create an engaged and dynamic arts sector. And I know a Clore fella like yourself couldn't help but agree that's probably a good thing...

    Beir bua,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dare I say, I found AAeN ponderous at an emotional level but with beautiful visual moments, particularly the part where the four dancers were lying on the floor with strong downward lighting. The nakedness of the dancers felt like a rare opportunity to watch movement without clothes, something we usually see only in our intimate lives or nearly in some sports - like a parallel reality that culture has removed from sight. I don't pretend to understand the reason for the rigidity of the movements or the lack of facial expression. Maybe I am just naming it 'ponderous' because I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey JanieMac,

    thanks for taking the time to post a message - and sorry I didn't get back sooner. Totally agree with you regarding the beauty of that particular moment...it was almost a respite from the rest - same with just before the end of the piece, too.

    And true, it was a rare opportunity, but I guess I just don't feel that nakedness, alone, is adequate to bear the burden of meaning the work claimed for itself. I felt more was needed. And to reiterate (lest I be misunderestimated...heh)I don't necessarily mean more clothing.

    Ciao,
    D

    ReplyDelete